Spring Bay Seafoods beer lovers mussel pot
- 10 mins to 15 mins
- Less than 15 mins
- Serves 2 as a main or 3-4 as a starter
- 1kg packet Spring Bay Seafoods mussels
- 2 tablespoons (20g) unsalted butter
- ¼ cup (30g) finely diced eschallots or ½ a red onion, very finely diced
- 2 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 1 rasher (70g) rindless bacon, finely sliced
- freshly ground black pepper
- 150ml cream
- 100ml beer
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped continental parsley
Heat a large heavy based pot with a tight fitting lid over a low heat.
Add the butter, when it’s melted add the eschallots, garlic, bacon and some freshly ground black pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the eschallots are clear and soft.
Increase the heat to high, add the cream and beer and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the liquid has reduced by 1/3 in volume.
Open the packet of mussels and pour into a colander, give them a light rinse.
Pour the mussels into the boiling beer mixture, give them a stir. Quickly put on the lid and cook for 3 minutes or until the mussels have opened. Sprinkle over the parsley and serve with the cooking liquid.
Serve with crusty bread and salad.
The mussels will open as they cook, if there are any unopened mussels, remove the open mussels from the pot with a slotted spoon and place in a serving bowl. Replace the lid and cook the rest for 1 minute longer. Unopened mussels can be prized opened with a paring knife and eaten.